CESR Application Guidance: Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
If you fail to include any of the following you will be unlikely to make a successful CESR application in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
When applying please also see the SSG, JCST ‘guidance for applicants’ and the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery curriculum.
- The intercollegiate FRCS.
Skills and experience
- provide logbook and consolidation sheets set out in the eLogbook format.
- provide evidence of the required number of cases within logbooks (please see the OMFS SSG)
- WPBAs to demonstrate competency (please see the OMFS SSG). It is very important that your PBAs are as meaningful as possible and therefore they should show evidence of feedback and guidance. They should include comments from your assessors and, where appropriate, demonstrate reflection by you. Block entries of ‘satisfactory’ are not acceptable
Papers and Presentations
- provide primary evidence of research (please see the OMFS SSG)
- management in the NHS
- training the trainers
- up to date ATLS
- primary evidence of audits and at least one audit should include a review of personal outcomes (please see the OMFS SSG)
- An applicant must provide 6 references, one of which is from their current clinical director
 As this is the equivalence route then it is possible that you can demonstrate this in other ways. The specialty specific guidance on the GMC’s and the JCST’s website give details. It is however, highly unlikely, that any combination of evidence other than the intercollegiate examination will show exact equivalence.