Acting Up as a Consultant
Under supervision ‘acting up’ provides final year trainees the transitional experience from trainee to consultant. A period of ‘acting up’ offers trainees an opportunity to get a feel for the role while still being under a level of supervision.
The post must be defined as 'acting up' for an absent consultant, and cannot be used to fill a new locum consultant post or to fill service needs.
You may act up as a consultant if:
- You are in the final year of training
- Have passed the Intercollegiate Specialty Exam
- The post does not exceed a total of three months
Applying for SAC provisional support
You will need to send the JCST:
- A letter of support from your Training Programme Director confirming the exact dates of the period
- The name of your consultant supervisor, who will be working in the same hospital
- Confirmation that the post is an existing, substantive consultant post
- Name of the absent consultant
- Up to date CV
Please note that this application should be submitted before starting the acting up post.
The 'Acting Up' post should be assessed by your RITA panel.