The JCST initiates the certification process 6 months before the end of your training.
We check all the evidence in your file and, if it is in order, we will ask you to submit the documents and information needed for your certification application to the SAC. Once we have received all the additional evidence we need, we prepare an application and send it to your the SAC for assessment. If the SAC believes you have met all the requirements of your training, the JCST will recommend you to the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland for the award of a Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training (CCST).
Missing evidence that might delay your application includes:
- RITAs or assessment forms covering the whole of your training
- Any outstanding SAC applications (e.g. OOP)
- Any other outstanding issues
We will let you know specifically, in your certification email, any issues you will need to send us evidence of. You will also need to send us the following:
- A College Notification Form – fully completed and signed
- Current CV – including all training posts with dates (mm/yyyy to mm/yyyy) for each
- RITA G – this should be held no more than four months before your certification date
- Training Programme Director's final report/statement – this will need to be sent to us directly by your Training Programme Director
- Valid APLS certificate – Paediatric Surgery and Otolaryngology trainees only
- Valid ATLS certificate – General Surgery (optional) only
- Valid ATLS or APLS certificate – Plastic Surgery trainees only
- Certification Document Review – Paediatric Surgery trainees only
- Certification Checklist – General Surgery trainees only (optional)
- View an outline of the logbook requirements for each specialty
The SAC will usually complete their assessment of your application within 6 weeks of receiving all your documentation.