Training Interface Groups
Advanced special interest training is available in interface posts, which combine curricular elements of at least two specialties. Although special interest training does not lead to the award of a CCT, CESR (CP) or CCST (Irish trainees), the parent Specialty Advisory Committees (SAC) have jointly recognised several national advanced training posts for training. Any pre-certification trainee in the latter years of a surgical training programme in one of the related SAC-defined specialties can apply for an Advanced Training Post. The recruitment rounds for the Training Interface Groups is be administered by Severn Postgraduate Medical Education.
The Interface Training Oversight Group (ITOG) oversees the work of the TIGs and ensures cohesion of approach and propose across the TIGs.
There are six Training Interface Groups (TIGs) administered by the JCST, listed below with their parent specialties:
- Cleft Lip & Palate Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Otolaryngology and Plastic Surgery
- Hand Surgery - Plastic Surgery and Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery
- Head & Neck Surgical Oncology - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Otolaryngology and Plastic Surgery
- Oncoplastic Breast Surgery - General Surgery and Plastic Surgery
- Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, General Surgery (Breast) and Ocular-Plastic Surgery (this falls under Ophthalmology)
- Major Trauma - General Surgery, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery and Vascular Surgery
The curricula for the TIG fellowships can be found embedded in the parent Specialty curricula here.
In 2015/16 the TIGs went through a review and the final report, approved by the JCST and Joint Surgical Colleges Meeting.
For further information, please contact the JCST by email at email@example.com or 020 7869 6244.
For all recruitment enquiries, once the recruitment process has commenced, please contact Leann King firstname.lastname@example.org.